Friday, March 16, 2012

Happy St Patricks Day!

My coworker Sue was gone for three days this week.  One day she wasn't feeling well and the others were because her mom had a stroke last Wednesday evening.  She text me to ask for prayers.  From what I can tell is that she is doing better although she has lost some short and long term memory.

Sue is 58 years old and the youngest in her family so I am guessing her mom is in her 80s.  No matter how old your parents are and that you might expect things to happen, it is always hard.  I can't help but think of what my mom has gone through.  Last April we nearly lost her.  She is doing well now too.

On Friday nights we usually go to NewHeart as a family.  It is a recover group at our church.  On Sunday they are going to be featured during the Sunday service.  I have had to write a small testimony of what it like for me to be a family member dealing with an addict in the family.  I am going to include my testimony here:

The nights were the worst!  I wasn’t able sleep so I would roam the dark rooms of my home stopping to watch over my grandsons as they slept.  I prayed as I roamed.  I just didn’t pray, I prayed HARD! Life and death was in the balance.  I knew my daughter was in danger; danger from the drugs she was taking, danger from the people she was choosing to be with and the lifestyle she was in.  I wondered with a mother’s heart if I would ever see my only child again?  Would my grandsons ever have the mom they wanted and deserved?  Or would I one day get a call from the police or a hospital telling me she was dead?  That was my life.
“But God” I love that phrase which is found all over the Bible.  But God answers prayer.  My daughter began her recovery journey and just as she did New Heart Ministries began at here at Riverview Community Church.  Not only does she have the support of those at the church who understands her addiction but I have the support of those who understand what I have lived. 
Those nights I wasn’t as alone as I thought; God was listening.  I know with New Heart Ministries that there are people there who love me and will walk with us through our recoveries together.

How do I pull us out of this?  Well... What do you do to celebrate St Patrick's Day?  Wear the green?  I am usually at work on this day.  I think we might watch some movies and have a St Patrick Day treat.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment