Saturday, April 20, 2013

Port Townsend Trip Part 1

Friday, April 12th:  We started out for Port Townsend at about 10:30am or 11:00 am.  I really hate leaving the house and the cat even for a few days.  I made sure that Leon (our cat) had everything he needed and that I wouldn’t worry about anything regarding the house while I was gone.  Even though I try, I still worry.  I end up just praying that everything will be OK.  I know I am being ridiculous because I know I should be able to leave for a couple of days without worries. 

It takes about 2 hours to drive from our house to Port Townsend.  We have to cross a bridge to get on the other side (west side) of the Puget Sound and go north on that side.  One place we cross over water is Hood Canal which is interesting because the Navy has not only a naval base there but a submarine base.  I, myself, like learning about places so I have added lots of links into this post.

Port Townsend is located on the Quimper Peninsula and was created during the late 1800s.  Most of the buildings and homes there are Victorian which is one of the charming characteristics of the town.  I thought about staying in a mansion that was made into a hotel called the Manresa Castle but then I found a great deal online and looking out at the Port Townsend Bay at one of the motels. 

We went on North Head Beach for a while once we arrived where we love to go find sea glass but we couldn’t stay long because of rain on Friday.  So we decided whenever there was a sun break we would drive over and beach comb for sea glass.  We then drove through the downtown and decided to get dinner at the Safeway rather than go out to a restaurant.  We got our sandwiches and soup etc and we went back to the motel. 

Our motel was right on the bay and when you looked out the window all you could see was the water (see above).  I moved the table and chairs over so that we could have a water view point while eating our dinner.  Better than any restaurant.  Soon there were sail boats out in the bay.  It seemed like it was a sailing club.  At one time I counted over ten sail boats from where I was sitting.  It continued to rain so we decided to stay in for the night.

Saturday we went right away to North Beach because the tide was going out.  We wanted to be the first.

The Farmers Market was set up and ready to go when we got there (see above... note the rain).  It happens to be located in front of the little bakery we go to so we were familiar with it.  I was able to buy some herb and some plants from the local growers.  I purchased a small parsley plant, thyme, and dill.  I had some rosemary and lavender already planted at home.  I bought a bleeding heart plant and a lily plant.  I will write more about them later.  Kari bought a vegetarian stew from this man... it had potatoes, cheese, and kale (I know) in it.  Best thing I've had with kale. 

I also bought from this older lady tags for my herbs.  She had made them herself with pottery.  We talked about her love for making things in pottery and I told her the college I worked for had pottery as a class.  It was the first time I considered maybe trying to make things in a pottery class one day.  After all, I can get a discount as an employee or at the age of 60, which ever comes first.

This post is getting long, so I will continue it tomorrow.  Have a good weekend!
 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Danna! What a great trip you've had! A lot of territory covered! I want to see your herb tags! I would love some, too! You should try the pottery class- that would be fun! (((Hugz)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, nice trip. I tried ceramics long ago and loved it. I am sure pottery would be just as much fun if not more so!
    Veggie stew idea making me hungry.

    ReplyDelete