Saturday, September 29, 2012

Is It a Full Moon?! Or What???

Wednesday afternoon, just before 4 pm, all of a sudden we found ourselves sitting in the dark at GRCC.  The lights flickered once, then twice, but the third time they went out.  The computers went out too, of course.

The directors had no idea why or how the whole campus lost electricity.  Some of us got on the phone to our family to search their on their phones or the internet, or on TV to find out any information.  After about a half hour, there was an announcement that they would soon be back with more information.

What surprised me was that students would actually come into the office (in the dark) and ask to be put into their class.  When we explained that because the electricity is out; the computers won’t work, the next question was, “When will the lights go back on?”  I so wanted to answer with sarcasm but I didn’t.  My answers still sort of sounded like I was speaking to a 5 year old though, I thought.  I was amazed at how many younger students were so “inconvenienced” however I would like to think that if they knew the reason for the black out they might have been more understanding.
The reason was because of the picture below.  A bus from the elementary school my grandsons attend, hit a pole and the live wires fell on it.  The kids were fine and were on the bus for about an hour before they could be removed and sent home on a second bus.

Wednesday was a strange day all around.  It felt like a “full moon” type of day.  You know what I mean? 
Have a wonderful weekend! 
 

2 comments:

  1. That's scary, Danna! We had an incident a few weeks back where a car hit a fire hydrant and the water was gushing up like a geyser. 2 different ladies rushed to help get the driver out of the car.... what they didn't know is that a power line was down and charging the water. They both were electrocuted and died. Glad everyone was fine and your grandsons weren't on the bus! (((Hugz)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Danna! I had heard about this on the news and I can imagine how scary it must have been! I am glad that everyone was fine though... Sorry for being gone for long but I am back now :)

    ReplyDelete