Thursday, August 2, 2012

Spokane WA and Silverwood (Idaho)

Yesterday we returned from our trip across our fair state of Washington to Spokane.  Not to mention our trek into Idaho to an amusement park there called Silverwood.  We left Sunday morning and we took our time going across on I-90.  We arrived at the KOA camp in Spokane Valley around 3:30 pm.  It is about a 4 hour to 5 hour drive from where we live to there.


We did stop here and there just to look around.  One stop was in Mose Lake and one was in Ritzville.  We thought that Ritzville was very entertaining... it is a very old town with many old structures.  However, one building is the grocery store called "Pretty Good Grocery Store".  We thought that was funny since it wasn't called the "Best Grocery Store" etc.  It seems as though they lack something... especially marketing skills.  However, in a small town like Ritzville... who needs marketing skills?

After we got up our new tent (3 rooms) from Costco, we went to a restaurant that is sister to one in Auburn (where we live).  The restaurant is the Longhorn restaurant... it is BBQ.  The boys love it.  And then we drove around to see what was around us.

That night we had to deal with various new noises... the bikers next to us, the machines from this water tank looking thing behind us, and of course, trains.  One train track had many trains coming through in it.  It was about 1/2 mile away.  However, one train would come through on a closer track... about a quarter of a football field away.  We would think it was coming through the tent sometimes. So, the first night we hardly got any sleep.... go figure.  That was too bad because we were heading to Silverwood on Monday and it would have been good to have lots of rest.

The weather on the other side of the Cascade Mts is different than on the west side where we live.  The clouds get hung up on this side and so it is cooler and as you know, it rains more here.  On the other side, there is more sun.  It does snow in the winter.  It is mostly flat without any trees.  They are opposites.

Spokane, was about 85 to 90 degrees most of the time we were there.  We are use to the climate there because of coming from So CA.  Actually we loved sitting in the sun and feeling the rays.  Many people here do not like feeling the warmth of the sun and complain.  Anyway, it was really nice.

On Monday we went a few miles to Idaho and went to Cour ed Lane and then went north about a half hour to Silverwood.  It reminded me of an early Knott's Berry Farm... or even a Magic Mountain (because Magic Mountain use to be out in the hills away from everything too).  Riley went with Kari on is first roller coaster ride... and I am thinking he didn't really care for it.  It scared him a little.  He may like them later in life.  He just doesn't want to completely say he didn't like it because Kari loves them.  He doesn't want to disappoint her.  Of course, they went on the monster ride... and didn't start slow.  So she may have to pay for that decision in Riley not being so sure about roller coaster rides at this time.  But all in all, we had a really great time.

Silverwood also has Boulder Bay, a water park.  It has wonderful things for everyone... even a lazy river. 

I will write more later about our trip so that I am not boring you in one post.  Have a wonderful day!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Danna! Sounds like you had quite an adventure! You all did good putting up a 3 room tent! Funny about the Pretty Good Grocery. I have a friend who collects photos of funny named businesses. One I sent her was a restaurant near us named "Bada Sushi!" Not a gooda name! :D Glad you had some nice sunshine! (((Hugz)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Danna!
    My brother-in-law Dave and his family live in Spokane and someday it is my plan to get out there and visit them with his 9 kids and 5 grandkids (he's always busy, if you couldn't guess, lol).

    Oh the trains would have driven me insane! We can hear one every now and then in the middle of the night (it's a distance away) and it wakes me up on occasion, so I couldn't imagine them being that close!

    I also love the name of the grocery store and there are tons of places out there with funny names like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dana,
    I am a friend of Darylynn's we live very near each other and met blogging. I thought I would come by and introduce myself. Sounds like a fun trip you had. Hope you have a wonderful Tuesday. Hugs, Dru

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dana,
    I left a comment and when I looked back it was gone?? I am a friend of Darylynn's we live very near each other in Los Angeles and met blogging. Your trip sounded fun. Hope you have a wonderful rest of the day.
    Hugs, Dru

    I don't have a blog on here. It is http://drusdippitydodas.com/wp

    ReplyDelete