Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Snowed In in Seattle

This past weekend and this week we have been riddled with snow...then showers... then snow.  All of a sudden on Tuesday they began to report that we were going to have the biggest snow in the last 40 years!  And we all started getting ready and wondering when it would hit.

Finally they narrowed it down to beginning at midnight last night.  I woke up at about 2 am and it was coming down hard.  The street was covered and there were about 2 inches on the cars.  I woke up again in about an hour and it was still coming down.  The cars looked to have about twice as much as they had before on them.  And then about 5 am I started to receive notices on my phone that schools were closing.  Finally the college I work for called "closed" too.

Many people who are use to the snow think "What is the big deal?"  Well, the big deal is #1 we aren't use to it, #2 we aren't really prepared for it when it does happen, #3 in all honesty, the hills around here aren't where you want to be when it is icy and snowing.  I have gone pass car after car who have spun out and ended up in the ditch.

This morning Kari tried putting on the cables on her car so she could go to work.  However, she got out to the main street and the cables became loose.  A police officer stopped and asked her why she was out and about.  She told him she was trying to go to work.  He said it was best if she didn't and to call in, so she did.  Before I knew it she was coming back through the door.  I was personally glad to see her.

The boys and her have just come in from outside where they made a couple of snowmen.  I took some photos that I will try to post for Friday.  They are very cute! 

So here we are snowed in... fire burning in the woodstove, and plenty of hot chocolate to go around.  I have no idea yet what tomorrow will bring.  As much as Seattlites like to see snow, they also like to see it go.  A fickled bunch of people.  My friend Barb on Facebook wrote "OK snow, you can go now."

Happy Wednesday!

2 comments:

  1. I'm watching it right now on the news about your snow. :) You don't have enough snow plows to deal with it so it's best to just have snow days and stay home! Enjoy the novelty of it all while you can. I'm sure the boys are loving it! (((Hugz)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stay home, stay warm, stay safe... and could you send us just a few flakes ;) Kristen would love it.

    ReplyDelete